We’ll be on TV tonight!

This is just a friendly reminder that our episode of HGTV’s “House Hunters: Where Are They Now” is scheduled to air tonight at 9 pm CST. It may or may not include riveting footage of Aaron smoking meat.

HHWhere3

Ok, we literally have no idea what footage it will include. Find out with us! Tonight! Live! 9 p.m. CST. Then drop by here and let us know what you thought of the episode.

Tackling the captain’s bedroom and the project spiral

The captain’s bedroom has been on our list as a possible winter project because we saw it as a relatively easy project with a big payoff. The only thing we planned to do was get rid of  the horrendous paint scheme. Pumpkin orange + bright blue = not our jam.

001captainsroombefore

Based on the pictures from the real estate listing, the previous owners used this space as a man cave. So maybe these are the colors of a sports team? I can think of no other reason why you would choose them…

002captainsroombefore

Whatever his rationale for choosing this color scheme, the previous owner REALLY went for it: painting doors contrasting colors, accenting random bits of trim, making the window frames blue, slopping some parts of a piece of conduit with orange paint, highlighting the duct work with more orange paint… Thank god he left the original doors to the room and the bathroom untouched.

003captainsroombefore 004captainsroombefore 005captainsroombefore 006captainsroombefore 007captainsroombefore

So, we decided to paint this room. No big deal, right?

Except as we were standing in the room discussing the project, Aaron pointed out that if we were going to paint, we should probably install trim. True to form, the previous owner didn’t finish something. In this case, he failed to add trim around the entire room after installing a (cheap and ugly) floating laminate floor.

008captainsroombefore

Adding trim sounded like a lot of money and work, especially since we don’t really like the (cheap and ugly) laminate in this room. We did some exploratory work in a corner of the room. Pulling up a loose square of laminate revealed that the texture one the floor is similar to what is exposed in the pole closet.

010captainsroombefore 011captainsroombefore

Aaron had the bright idea to spray some paint in the pole closet to test how the floor might look. It really cut down on the texture. We reasoned that the entire floor would look great painted (assuming we didn’t come across any surprises when we took everything out). This would give the floor an industrial vibe, but by now you probably know we would prefer that over faux suburban laminate.

012captainsroombefore

Then I said, “Since we’re going to take the floor out, can we talk about removing the closet?”

013captainsroombefore

Next to the pole closet, the previous owners decided to construct a standard closet.

014captainsroombefore

We always felt like this was unnecessary, because the room has an attached bathroom, which can never be a bathroom again. Let me explain. At some point in the firehouse’s long history, someone decided to cement the pipes in this space. We don’t think it’s worth the time or effort to bring this back to a functional bathroom because our guests can just use the awesome bathroom next door.

017captainsroombefore

We also don’t want to tear out all the beautiful stone and period tile. Which means the space in the back (former shower stall and toilet area) seems like a really perfect closet.

018captainsroombefore

And the space near the door with the really great window light seems like the perfect place for a vanity of sorts.

019captainsroombefore

Long story long, we don’t need or want this closet that wasn’t part of the original footprint. So we did some investigation.

015captainsroombefore

Up top we didn’t find any surprises (unless you count a random sock and a piece of plywood) or any reasons we couldn’t rip this out.

016captainsroombefore

At that point we decided to go all in. So we’re also replacing the duct work to get rid of the orange and so we can install the proper vents. We’re also going to address the severe lack of lighting with another custom fixture.

007captainsroombefore

So that’s the project spiral that turned “painting the guestroom” into a project list that looks like this:

  • Remove laminate floor
  • Demo closet
  • Scrape loose paint from windows and caulk
  • Paint window casings white
  • Paint captain’s room and bathroom (We choose something other than white! Gasp!)
  • Scrape the paint off the conduit
  • Texture the random metal panel in the ceiling to help it blend in
  • Paint the bedroom floor
  • Replace the duct work
  • Install trim along the brick wall
  • Design and install new lighting
  • Replace all electrical receptacles and switches (we do this in every room we work on)

We also decided that this would be a weekends only project. Aaron has been mostly focused on keeping the trailer construction going during the week. Then on the weekend, we’re both working our butts off to get this room up to par.